Monday, March 10, 2008

I don't wanna show off no more...

So this weekend I saw "The Drowsy Chaperone" at Shea's on both Sat and Sun because it's one of my fave shows haha The last time I saw it was on Broadway with Sutton Foster a couple of years ago, so seeing it again after so long was very exciting. I forgot how much I love this show. It's one of the funniest musicals I have ever seen and it's just pure joy. The story and music are so much fun! I have to admit though, I enjoyed the Broadway production more than this one. It was still a great show though.

Jonathan Crombie played the "Man in Chair." He was really good. He was just as good as Bob Martin (the guy who wrote Drowsy and originated the role of man in chair). Andrea Chamberlain played "Janet Van De Graff." She was amazing! Her voice was flawless and made a perfect Janet. "Show Off" is still one of my fave songs in the show. It was so much fun watching Andrea sing it. She belted the shit out of "Bride's Lament." She gave me chills. I am now a huge fan of hers. I'm really happy I saw it twice because the first time I saw her, I didn't really know much about her. After the performance, I was just fascinated by her. She was fabulous. When I saw it the second time, I really focused more on her and watched her more closely. It was a treat seeing her perform it twice =) Anyway, Nancy Opel played "The Drowsy Chaperone." I have to say I was a little disappointed, but it's almost impossible to be as brilliant and funny as Beth Leavel. There's a reason Beth won the Tony. I'm sure anyone seeing Nancy for the first time would think she was hilarious. James Moye played "Aldolpho." Again, I was a little disappointed. He just wasn't as funny as Danny Burstein. He was ok, but just nowhere near as funny as Danny. Mark Ledbetter played "Robert Martin." He was really good and had a nice voice. Mark and Andrea had good chemistry and were really cute onstage together. Richard Vida played "George." He was good. The tap dancing number between Mark and Richard was awesome! Georgia Engel reprised her role as "Mrs. Tottendale." She got a lot of applause. She was just as good as when I saw her on Broadway. The rest of the cast was excellent, I know I'm forgetting people.

Overall, it was a fantastic show and I highly recommend seeing it! If you want to check out the tour site you can do it here. Also, I want to post this video of Andrea talking about the tour. She's so cute!!


No comments: